PowerCADD drawing origin

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

PowerCADD drawing origin

Postby David Scott » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:57 am

Does anyone know if there's a way of changing a PowerCADD drawing's origin to a point way off the drawing? I know you can drag off the 0,0 point to another location on the drawing but I want to be able to use Northings and Eastings as PowerCADD's coordinates. It would allow me to merge GPS surveys easier (although I don't know if doing that would affect drawing accuracy).
What I'd like to do is move the drawing origin to a survey point and then offset the origin using the Northing/Easting coordinates for that point. Then when I clicked on any survey point, PowerCADD's coordinates would match the survey coordinates.

Thanks.
David
David Scott

Re: PowerCADD drawing origin

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 am

David,

A common problem when dealing with areas larger that the content of the drawing.

Three ways:

PowerCADD has a global origin that you can set to use and also to type the x/y locations same as with the Edit Window. While it’s technically possible to use, as a practical matter it’s incomprehensible and impossible to use for even the brightest among us. I understand the concept, but I don’t have a clue how I could ever use it. This is also a common problem with other programs and everyone has used similar methods to ‘say’ that a point in the drawing ‘is’ a different coordinate from what the drawing currently ‘says’.

There is the Drawing Benchmark tool in TopoTools, described in the WT manual and also in the online documentation for WildTools. It’s a critical part of importing and dealing with Shapefiles.

Paolo Rossi has a similar capability in his Topography Tools that may be even better, but you can get used to either one.

And once you set it, the Edit Window and Show Location bar will work with the global origin.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion