Mojave compatibility?

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Mojave compatibility?

Postby lavardera » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:27 pm

The public beta is out today - anybody try it with PowerCadd?

disclosure - I'm still in Sierra. :oops:
lavardera

Re: Mojave compatibility?

Postby jmmanrique » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:10 pm

I do , Works well so far..
jmmanrique

Postby Joe Mattei » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:11 am

So there are NO problems with High Sierra? I've been waiting to upgrade my drafting computer!
Joe Mattei

Postby poolvibe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Ive been on the Beta for about 2 weeks. The only thing I can feel a difference on is the screen redraw/refresh. I find myself waiting for lines to appear as I draw. Everything else seems perfectly functional. It is slowing me down a bit though. Slight improvement when shadows are turned off.
poolvibe

Postby poolvibe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:22 am

So after reading up a bit, it seems that OpenGL and OpenCL are going away so the slow screen redraws are probably because I am experiencing PC without video acceleration? Alfred, can you comment on Metal etc?
poolvibe

Postby Alfred Scott » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Frank,

OpenGL is only used in TopoTools with the 3D displays in the dialogs for Analyze Topo. It’s very fast and in time I will have to move to Metal, but first we have to get to 64-bit.

I also need 64-bit to do anything with SketchUP but I may make the first steps with OpenClip Bridge.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby poolvibe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:33 pm

Well.... If it's not OpenGL, it's something. It is very sluggish. I'm not sure how software updates work but I am hoping that once tested and tinkered with it feels like it used to.
poolvibe

Postby poolvibe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:48 pm

The latest public beta (4) seemed to cure the laggy cursor and screen redraws....
poolvibe

Postby Rob C » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:21 pm

disclosure - I'm still in Sierra. :oops:

I'm still on El Capitan and trying to move up to a new(ish) machine with Sierra (long stroy)

SketchUp is all built on OpenGL, so Apple's plans don't bode well for the Mac platform of SU.
Rob C

Postby Alfred Scott » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Rob,

I wouldn’t worry your pretty little head about this.

OpenGL will be around for another 3-4 years, but even then I suspect Apple will still keep it available while encouraging everyone to move to Metal.

And Metal is almost a superset of OpenGL, and it’s pretty simple to switch from OpenGL to Metal with essentially the same or equivalent routines. Remember, these are not programming libraries like so much else in the OS. These are software interfaces to a hardware device — the graphics cards (gpu) which are pretty much the same for all computers and cell phones.

The important step for us is to get to 64-bit, which is essential for me to compile with the SketchUp programming directly in PowerCADD and WildTools. To do it now requires a separate program such as OpenClip Bridge, but that’s not the seamless integration you’re looking for.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Rob C » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 am

Alfred,

Cool! We're all rooting for you and Todd.

Rob
Rob C

Postby lavardera » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:20 pm

lavardera wrote:disclosure - I'm still in Sierra. :oops:

I ought to just upgrade to High Sierra. There were things I was concerned about that have all been resolved at this point. Its only the paranoia of an upgrade disaster that is keeping me in sierra. And I've never even had an upgrade disaster...
lavardera

Postby phansford » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:37 am

I'm rarely concerned about any upgrade disaster with PC..... its having all the other programs that I use that concern me.

Last upgrade (new iMac - El Capitan) cost me a new large format printer. HaHa.
phansford
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion