Key Commands are disappearing on Powercadd Relaunch

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Key Commands are disappearing on Powercadd Relaunch

Postby stevil E » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Hello all - I have a new problem with my brand new MacBook Pro that just won't resolve. I can't get a certain Key Commands to stick! I installed PCadd on Monday and oddly, some of the custom commands that I put in are there, but . . . some aren't sticking upon relaunch. I've had a response from Todd (thanks!) who sent a couple of Apple Scripts to try but they didn't resolve it. I think they're gone for the weekend, and I am dreading re-assigning everything every time I re-open PCadd.

Has anyone else seen this? Help?

Thanks all!!!

Steve E.
stevil E

Re: Key Commands are disappearing on Powercadd Relaunch

Postby huc » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:55 pm

Not enough info

What version of Mac OS X is the hardware running and what was running on the old hardware?
EVERY PowerCADD custom key command?
SOME PowerCADD custom key commands?
Have these key commands been migrated forward from older versions of PowerCADD? If so how many times as it's possible errors get introduced.
You noted some or one so what specifically is the combination?

If only some, what specifically are they and do they conflict with those being used by Mac OS X.

Remember that Apple reserves MANY key command combinations, that were previously available, for their own use.

It might be you only have one that's conflicting that's causing the problem

In general I never migrate powercadd key commands forward. I recreate from clean each time. There are just too many hidden variables that could cause a problem. That model has served me well for over 2 decades. Time spent finding the problem(s) typically took longer to resolve than just entering them all again. Everyone's mileage will vary.

However if you can wrap your head around the above questions it might be possible to narrow down the culprit and nuke it in the key command file
huc

Postby stevil E » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks! BRAND new MacBook Pro - Yosemite. All new install. New copy of the software. Some new Commands stuck (Examples: 'CMD-E' for edit group and 'Z' for zoom) Some won't stick. (Examples: 'L' for line, 'Q' for swipe. Those are not reserved.) I've looked at all the obvious things - I've been on PCadd for 17 years! I can't figure it out.

Any ideas?

Steve E.
stevil E

Postby Derek » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:39 am

Steve,

It would be good if you could establish if the problem is occurring when PowerCADD is saving your assignments or when it reads them back in. You can do this by looking at the file where the assignments are saved.

The key commands you assign are stored in the following file:

~Library/Preferences/PowerCADD/PowerCADD 9 Key Commands

Apple have hidden the Library folder from normal access but you can get to it from the Finder if you hold down the Option key when you open the Go menu. Once in there you can navigate to the PowerCADD 9 Key Commands file. This file is a text file so it can be viewed with TextEdit. Once open search for "line" (or whatever command or tool you are wanting to look at). One of the hits will be for the Tool Line. Jot down the numbers that are set, it will look something like this:

Tool
Line
No Modifiers

With this procedure in hand, try setting an "L" for Line Tool in PowerCADD and quit PowerCADD. Then open the commands file again. if the value has changed then you know the assignment was made and saved. Close the Commands file and then relaunch PowerCADD and see if it "stuck" as you put it. You might need to do this a few times with other commands or assign different letters for the Line Tool but hopefully you'll work out if the problem is occurring when the assignments are being saved or when they are being read back in when you launch PowerCADD.

Report back what you find as it could give us a clue as to what's happening.

Cheers,
Derek
Derek

Postby patrickm » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:53 am

(Admittedly, I know little about how Macs work and troubleshoot mine based upon intuition and pattern recognition, but...)

Have you tried doing basic system maintenance, like repairing permissions? If not, you might try that. (I'm wondering if the permissions on the key command preference file are wrong, preventing changes from "sticking".)

I like using Onyx every week or two, to clean things up.
http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

keep us posted,
patrick
patrickm

Postby huc » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:27 am

totally agree with other comments regarding house keeping (permission repair etc) and on step by step approach to find offending custom command

you made mention of a brand new machine. I'm presuming you used migration assistant to bring over things from a time machine back. If so, that process can often be loaded with issues, particularly if system level house keeping chores (permissions, etc) weren't performed before the most recent backup which is typically the first place the migration assistant goes to get data. If that's the case then definitely running os x house keeping tasks is a critical first step.

I'd also download and run the Mac OS X 10.10.3 combo updater and run that against the new machine (after doing repair permissions). Sounds crazy but often the factor installations are ones I've never trusted. My S.O.P. for any new machine is to do a full reformat and ground up installation of the OS and core app's - essentially never trusting the factory installs. Case in point I've found errors ranging from bad RAM, to failed GPU and CPU chip sets as part of that process. Point being anything can happen even with factory clean machines so running the combo updater isn't a bad approach to try and make sure all the bits are in the right place.

In general I'm not having issues here assigning key commands with 10.10.3 and PCD 9.1.3. Others don't appear to be having an issue so the problem looks to be local to your install, configuration, etc.
huc

Postby Marté » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:18 pm

I had a similar problem, certain commands wouldn't stick. (This happened after I used Time Machine to perform a system reinstall.) I spent a few hours trying to track down the problem to no avail. As a work-around I installed Better Touch Tool—it's free—to remap a few key commands and now and everything works fine. BTT allows for application-specific shortcuts.

I should point-out I'm still using Mavericks.

http://www.bettertouchtool.net/
Marté

Postby stevil E » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks all - so here is the current state of the state:

Derek - I did what you suggested and each time I close out of Powercadd, the numbers are all there in that preferences file. When I re-open PCadd, ... commands don't work and they're gone from the file. So opening PCadd seems to be clearing my commands.

I did the Repair Permissions with Disk Utility, but ... nothing seems to change with that either.

OH! And this is not a migration from another machine - I've done that several times and true, it breeds some interesting bugs. This is FRESH!

Hmmmmm.....

Thanks again - driving me a little crazy.

Steve E.
stevil E

Postby Jim Lucas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:39 pm

Steve,

Have you tried adjusting your keyboard preferences? Being Canadian, mine has to be set to Canadian English. If it somehow gets set to U.S. Extended, some of my commands stop working. Go to System preferences - Keyboard - Input Sources and then choose which keyboard you want to use. Hope this helps.

Jim
Jim Lucas

Postby stevil E » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks Jim, but no - set to US. (The only option there.) Still digging...

Thanks -
stevil E

Postby stevil E » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:57 pm

Update to Derek: I've gone through a few cycles of adding commands, quitting Powercadd and relaunching. Just now, I got rotate left and right to stick in the Prefs file, but ... doesn't work in Powercadd. Quitting and reopening the prefs file still shows the commands there, but ...

Thanks again.
stevil E

Postby stevil E » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Steve again, so I've narrowed this down to the fact that I can load up the preferences while I'm working (obviously), but if I have to relaunch PCadd, ... they're gone.

Is there ANY way I can just start over and CLEAN install Pcadd and Wildtools and try this again?

I know just replacing the PCadd folder doesn't do it, but how can I remove everything and start fresh? Seems like my only play after repairing permissions, etc., etc. ...

Thanks all.

Steve
stevil E

Postby Jim Lucas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:45 pm

"Thanks Jim, but no - set to US. (The only option there.) Still digging..."

Steve,
While in Input Sources, click on the Plus sign (+) found at the bottom left. This will give you more keyboard options. Just try "Canadian English" for the fun of it. Who know, it may just work. Good luck.
Jim Lucas

Postby Derek » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Steve,
I've sent you a PM with some other things to try.
Cheers,
Derek
Derek

Postby stevil E » Tue May 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Hey all - thanks a ton for the help. I tried EVERYTHING!!! I even called Apple and they tried. Nothing. Bug. An unswattable bug. Since it was a brand new machine I just reinstalled everything - down to Yosemite. So far ... so good. (Fingers crossed.)

Strange days, but for now ... I'm drawing!

Thanks again.

Steve
stevil E

Next

Return to PowerCADD Discussion